- Recorded the sound of myself shushing my kid, then played it back to her in an infinite loop (God bless the iPhone—and the sound really works to calm her)
- Watched Alien, Aliens, and sort of at random, two other highlights from the James Cameron oeuvre (Titanic, The Terminator)—there’s a lot of downtime while breastfeeding/rocking your kid to sleep
- Read so many long form articles it’s silly—again, there’s lots of downtime. My favourite links to read while killing time: Longreads, Give Me Something To Read, Longform, and Ask Metafilter; also, Instapaper is indispensable for making everything nice and readable on the iPhone.
- Slept for a luxurious five hours straight.
- Gone to see Super 8 at Movies For Mommies at the Rio. It was a real relief to know you can still see movies as a new parent—there’s change tables, stroller parking, and they turn down the volume on the noisy bits!
- Taken the baby quite successfully on buses, the Canada Line, and a ferry. Fodder for expansion in a future post!
- Discovered that the hair dryer is one of the most powerful tools in a parent’s arsenal of baby soothing tools.
- Taken approximately 8 billion photos and videos of one tiny human being.
And much more, of course, but this is a start :) Who knew so much media consumption was involved in raising a newborn?